I wanted to kick start this Natural Living Series with a post about water. It is THE MOST BASIC thing you can do to feel better and detoxify your body. As I learnt from The Alkaline Cure, drinking water helps circulate nutrients around the body and flushes out toxins. Keeping hydrated is particularly good for your skin and has huge ant-ageing effects! I don’t think I have to tell you that you should be drinking at least 7 glasses of water a day. You must know that. BUT I ask you- do you actually drink that much? I know some days I don’t.
Breastfeeding has just exasperated my situation. I feel dehydrated all the time, especially after a long night of nursing. I can take a litre of water to bed with me and still be thirsty!
2 years ago I was really dedicated to my Tone It Up plan and I did drink loads of water. I weighed 125lbs, am 5ft 8 and drank 2-3 litres of water at least per day for a month and EVERYONE (even my dad, who never notices anything!) noticed how my skin was glowing! I felt so good and my head felt a lot clearer and I had loads more energy. Right now I weigh around 130lbs so I should be drinking at LEAST 65 ounces (1.85 litres) of water a day (more actually, because I’m breastfeeding). But I struggle to drink that amount some days (you can calculate how much water you should be drinking by halving your body weight in pounds, so if you weigh 130lbs you should drink 65 ounces of water, although more if you exercise, or live in a hot climate!). I feel tired and my skin is dull…and on days I don’t drink enough water I think my wrinkles look a lot bigger! Tea and coffee do not count count, in fact they dehydrate you. So I need to ditch the tea and increase my water intake pronto! I wanted to share my top tips for drinking more water today.TIPS FOR DRINKING MORE WATER:
- Tap water contains chemicals and pesticides such as Chlorine, Fluorosilicic acid, Aluminium sulphate, Calcium hydroxide, Sodium silico and even Estrogen hormones. Going through old pipes can also lead to bacteria and lead contamination. Filter it!
- Tap water is more likely to be acidic compared to bottled water. Our bodies are too acidic with modern diets. So as well as filtering it, add a drop of fresh lemon juice to it to alkalize it. Alkaline water has a pH value of 7. or above. This is the easiest way to bring your body back to a normal and healthy balance.
- Jazz it up! Add some flavour to your water by adding fresh fruit & herbs to a large jug. Keep it in the fridge or water bottle to sip on throughout the day. Make herbal teas instead of your normal cup of black tea.
- Eat foods with a high water content. Fresh fruits and vegetables are great. Soups and smoothies are good too!
- Schedule your water intake! Get a 1 litre, or 0.5 litre bottle and make sure you drink 1 litre of water between waking up and lunch. Another 1 litre between lunch and dinner. And another half a litre or litre before you go to bed.
- Carry a water bottle around with you. This way you will sip on it without thinking.
- Order water at a restaurant with anything else you drink, order a water as well as your coffee. It all adds up!
- Don’t drink too much water when you are eating though, it inhibits food digestion.
What about you? Do you drink enough water?
Stay turned for a fab BRITA water filter giveaway to help you drink more water!
Sign up to the Natural Living Series: