Summer is coming! So I am back on my mission of healthy eating and upping my fitness regime! I must admit that since having Thomas I have found it hard to stop snacking and eating a bucket load of carbs- mainly bread and biscuits! And my waist line has NOT thanked me for it!
One thing that I think can really help me feel full, but is still healthy is the addition of more protein. So I have been tinkering around with making protein bars to help me stay on track!
Here’s my best version so far- Oaty coconut banana protein bars– they are BRILLIANT for a quick breakfast and are great go to snacks! As well as oats I added coconut flour- I’ve never really cooked with it much and was pleasantly suprised when I found out that coconut flour contains lots of protein (14g per 100g that’s more than wheat or rye), it’s gluten free, and full of fibre- so it makes you feel fuller for longer! Coconut flour tastes really good too and it certainly stops my sweet cravings as well- BONUS!
So here’s my recipe-
1 cup oats
1/2 cup coconut flour
5 tablespoon of protein powder (I use organic rice protein)
2 tablespoon chia seeds
5 tablespoons of honey
1/4 cup of coconut oil
2 mashed up bananas
1. Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees. Line a baking tray with a little extra coconut oil.
2. Mix the mashed banana with the honey and coconut oil over a light heat- so everything is really runny.
3. Add the dry ingredients a bit at a time, stirring all the time.
4. Put your mixture into your baking tray and cook for around 15-20 mins or until it starts to brown.
5. Let them cool down and cut into slices when they are still warm.
You can make them more crunch by adding more dry ingredients, or more moist by adding more of the wet ingredients depending on your preferences.
I also love the idea of putting a topping on them! a layer of almond or peanut butter with a sprinkling of dark chocolate chips anyone? oh yes please!!!
You can find out more about coconut flour and its uses by visiting nuts.com